- Matt. 4:17, “From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.’”
- Matt. 4:23a, “And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom,”
As a citizen of the kingdom of heaven, Jesus desires us to know and live according to His heavenly constitution. He tells us in Matthew chapters 5-7.
The character of the citizens of the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 5)
- Our living should be according to the constitution, Matt. 5:20, “For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.”
- It’s not only our outward appearance and actions, but within our hearts, Matt. 5:22a, “But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.”
The priority in our life is to enter the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 6), as summarized in Matt. 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
The Lord Jesus Christ warns us that there will be judgment (Matt. 7), Matt. 7:21-23 says, “‘Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’”
How can we learn to live according to the constitution of the kingdom of heaven?
- 1 Pet. 2:5, “you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”
- 1 Pet. 2:9, “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;”
By experiencing Christ in the holy and royal priesthood, we will be transformed to live Christ, to live according to the heavenly constitution by His life.
God shows us how to practice the holy and royal priesthood through the true worship of God according to John 4:23-24, “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
To learn more about true worship and the holy and royal priesthood, click here.